You have no items in your shopping cart.
Food for Thought - Rapids' Blog
The first Wednesday in October just happens to be National Pumpkin Seed Day. We couldn't let this slip by without shining a bit of light on pumpkin seeds because these little guys just happen to be a nutritional powerhouse. The World’s Healthiest Foods.org have included pumpkin seeds within their list of the world’s healthiest foods.
According to Dr. Mercola , a well known DO physician that practices a “whole person” wellness approach to healthcare, the lowly pumpkin seed contains a wide variety of nutrients, ranging from magnesium and manganese to copper, protein, and zinc.
- Pumpkin Seeds contain a wide array of beneficial plant compounds known as phytosterols and free-radical scavenging antioxidants, which can give your health an added boost.
- Pumpkin seeds may benefit your heart, liver and immune system, help fight diabetes, and offer unique benefits for men’s prostate health and women’s relief of menopause symptoms as well.
We like pumpkin seeds because they are just so tasty!
From Food Network comes this Recipe for Multi Variety Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Seeds :
Directions Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Seed the pumpkin: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Using a spoon, scrape the pulp and seeds out of your pumpkin into a bowl.
- Clean the seeds: Separate the seeds from the stringy pulp, rinse the seeds in a colander under cold water, then shake dry. Don't blot with paper towels; the seeds will stick.
- Dry them: Spread the seeds in a single layer on an oiled sheet pan and roast 30 minutes to dry them out.
- Add spices: Toss the seeds with olive oil, salt and your choice of spices (see below). Return to the oven and bake until crisp and golden, about 20 more minutes.
Sweet Spiced Pumpkin Seeds:
Toss with cinnamon and sugar (do not use salt in step 4)
Indian Spiced Pumpkin Seeds:
Toss with garam masala; mix with currants after roasting.
Spanish Spiced Pumpkin Seeds:
Toss with smoked paprika; mix with slivered almonds after roasting.
Italian Spiced Pumpkin Seeds:
Toss with grated parmesan and dried oregano.
Barbecue Spiced Pumpkin Seeds:
Toss with brown sugar, chipotle chile powder, and ground cumin.
Read HTML articles in our blog section to learn everything about web design and development. You will find great tips.